WELCOME!

Welcome! Don't be shy...Leave comments! We love to hear from you!



Thursday, June 2, 2011

Wanna Help Train Missionaries?

     We have a library here at POC (Pacific Orientation Course). Part of the training program is reading assignments. The students can choose books on a wide range of subjects from our library. They can also choose from a filing cabinet full of periodical articles. In addition to school work people often read for fun and self betterment.

     Part of my roll here, now that this is my permanent position, is teaching the Anthropology classes. I have started to look at how they were taught before and what materials are being used. I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the material is out of date.

     I have talked to my boss about getting some new materials and they are all for it. I have lots of stuff in mind but I don’t want it to too heavily weighted with my point of view and interests.

     So, I want to hear from you guys. What are some books Christian or otherwise that have influenced who you are as a Christian. These books can be for self betterment, missions studies, anthropology, theology, or just plain fun. Please, post as many as you want to here. I am anxious to see what everyone thinks. If you are interested in sending a couple to us to help with the library and missionary training I can also tell you how to do that. I will start the ball rolling with a couple of my own…

Cultures and Organizations by Hofstede

Walking With the Poor by Myers

Working With the Poor by Myers

 

matt

7 comments:

the croslands said...

ok, i'll go first...
Cross-Cultural Servanthood by Elmer, Blue Like Jazz by Miller, Jesus For President by Claiborne, One Thousand Gifts by Voskamp

you know i LOVE books!!!
xo tiff

Mrs. Willowain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the croslands said...

here is the post from above that was deleted. I recieved it in an email. thanks for participating.

Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow
The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer
Christy by Catherine Marshall
Stepping Heavenward by E. Prentiss
Too Small to Ignore by Wess Stafford (founder of Compassion Int'l; about the importance of children)
A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot
(bio of Amy Carmichael)

the croslands said...

Just got another email response. This one is from my(matt)dad.
Heart of Darkness- Conrad
Moby Dick
The History of God- Armstrong


for the rest of you, Come on Help us out and leave a comment!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent said...

CS Lewis's 'Space Trilogy'
The Great Divorce (also CSL)
The 'Chronicles of the Kings' Series by Lynn Austin
'Dominion' by Randy Alcorn
"How to Pray - The Best of John Wesley on Prayer"
'The Cathedral Within' by Bill Shore
Weavings magazine

the croslands said...

These were sent by Lisa via facebook...
Radical by David Platt
What Happens When Women Say Yes To God by Lysa Terkeurst
Dangerous Surrender by Kay Warren
Crazy Love by Francis Chan
Adopted For Life by Russell Moore
Choosing To See by Mary Beth Chapman

thanks!

Tonya said...

The Gospel for Real Life-Jerry Bridges

L'abri-Edith Schaeffer

Age of Opportunity--Paul Tripp

When People Are Big and God is Small--Ed. welch

where is God when it hurts--Phillip Yancey

the Joy of Fearing God--Jerry Bridges