WELCOME!

Welcome! Don't be shy...Leave comments! We love to hear from you!



Sunday, May 30, 2010

My story

I (Matt) have just been asked to be a guest blogger on this fine publication. This is one of the greatest honors of my life and I will do my best in the following post to uphold the tradition of journalistic excellence that this blog represents.
This week I was reminded several times of who I was before I became a Christian and he changed my life. Many of you have heard this story so you are excused from reading the rest of this post if you want. But if you haven't I will keep it brief.
I started drinking early, 12. By the time I was 16 I was drinking and using drugs heavily. By 17 I was also selling drugs to support my habit. I had fallen into a downward spiral. If anyone tells you that the human heart is not inclined toward wickedness please send them to me.
When I was 19 God sent Tiffany into my life. He had just started working in her life; drawing her back to him. She invited me to come to church with her. As you can imagine I had some bad experiences with church people so I wasn't exactly enthused to go. But I had a plan how I could stay in good with her and run them off at the same time. It might be good for me to give you a description of myself at this point. I was what you might call the typical "dirty hippie kid"; long scruffy beard, dreads, and about as unhealthy as you can get. Tiffany told me recently that she thought that I was on the verge of death. I ate very little. I was on a steady diet of alcohol, drugs, and cigarettes. Looking back I think she is probably right.
So, I put my plan into action. I fluffed up my beard, didn't wash my hair, and tried to look as undesirable as possible. But a funny thing happened when I went to the church. Instead of being repulsed by me the people in the church came up to me and loved me. My plan backfired. I was confused, I had to come back and find out what was going on. I kept coming back. I kept hearing God's word, and eventually I recognized that the hole that I had been trying to stuff full of all the world has to offer really only needed Jesus to fill it. I accepted Christ as my savior and he radically changed my life.
I'm not saying it was all roses from here on out and I'm not saying that I never faltered but God was with me and he cared for me. When I fell he lifted me up, dusted me off and sent me on my way again. God is my ever present strength.
 But why have I told you all this? I told you to encourage you. Do you know someone who is like I was? There is hope in Christ. I told you this because It helps me. It is easy for me to rest in myself, to think I can do it myself. But I can't! I can do nothing without God's wonderful indwelling Spirit. I told you this enlighten you. God is real and he really changes hearts and lives, he can change yours too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME.

Christin said...

Love it! The part that really got me? That despite your "nasty" appearance, the Church loved on you. Oh Lord, may we still lavishly LOVE on the people who present themselves as unlovable!

blessings!